Words can’t describe how excited I am to feature a recipe from Kait, of Bubble Girl Bakes! She concocted a wonderful autumnal dessert recipe that is vegan, and allergen friendly. Also, it features Kait’s own brand of all-purpose flour that is completely gluten/soy/nut-free! Many people are under the misconception that baking treats devoid of allergens is time-consuming or that the taste will be comprised. Wrong! Baking in itself is an art that should be done with proper attention and measurements to create the perfect taste (trust me) and atmosphere (nothing beats baking a wonderful dish while surrounded by family and loved ones – and should never be under pressure!). And when you add the best quality ingredients (spices to enhance flavors) the outcome will always be a winner. There is the added benefits that you consume earth-based, nutrient dense foods that nourish your body + mind. Enjoy!
Cranberry Date Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Hemp Crumble
6 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
¾ cup teff flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup cooked pumpkin
1 cup hemp milk (or allergy friendly milk of choice)
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup dates, pitted & chopped
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup BG Bakes Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Mix
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup hemp seed
½ teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
¼ cup allergy friendly shortening
In a medium bowl, mix flour, light brown sugar, hemp seed, cinnamon, and salt. With a fork, work in shortening until large, moist clumps form.
· Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease a standard 9 x 5 loaf pan, then line with parchment paper.
· In a small mixing bowl, combine flaxseed and warm water. Whisk well and set aside. This will serve as your “egg” in the recipe.
· In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and set aside.
· In a third mixing bowl or bowl of your stand mixer, combine flaxseed mixture, pumpkin, hemp milk, maple syrup, olive oil, and vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed until mixture is smooth.
· Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Batter should be smooth and slightly thick. Stir in dates and cranberries.
· Spoon batter into greased and lined loaf pan. Smooth top of batter with spatula as needed. Bake for 20 minutes then remove to top with Brown Sugar Hemp Crumble (recipe below).
· Return bread to oven and continue to bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then carefully lift bread out using parchment paper to transfer to a wire rack for remainder of cooling. Makes 10-12 servings.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, soy free, peanut free, tree nut free, corn free, legume free, and vegan. Bread without the crumble topping is also refined sugar free.